German Apfelstreuselkuchen meets Pie! Combine two delicious bakes and it gets even better: Apple Crumble Pie (with rum raisins) ;)
For the dough:
1 1/4 cups (160g) all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup (120g) cold butter
1/4 cup (60ml) ice water
1/2 tsp. vinegar
For the crumble topping:
2/3 cup (85g) all-purpose flour
4 tbsp. brown sugar
pinch fine salt
1/3 cup (80g) butter
2 tbsp. rolled oats
For the filling:
28-30 oz. apples
1 tbsp. lemon juice
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 cup (100g) brown sugar
2.5 oz. (70g) raisins (optional)
2 tbsp. dark rum (optional)
1. If you want to use the raisins in this recipe, you should let them soak the day before baking in the two tablespoons of dark rum so they soften and get some flavor (optional).
2. Mix the flour with the salt in a large bowl. Add the cold butter in small pieces and mix. Cut the butter with a pastry blender into pea-sized pieces. Mix the ice water with vinegar and add gradually to the bowl, mix until the dough starts coming together. Do not knead much, the dough should not be too wet or sticky – it should just hold together. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
3. Roll out the dough on a floured surface to a round circle which is slightly larger than a 9 inches (23cm) pie dish. Transfer the dough to the pie dish and press to the bottom and sides – the dough should overlap slightly. Shape a nice border around the rim of the pie dish and prick the bottom several times with a fork. Place in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
4. Prepare the crumble topping by mixing the flour with brown sugar, and salt in a bowl. Add the butter in small pieces and rub everything between our fingers to get nice crumbs. Add the rolled oats and mix, then place in the fridge until needed.
5. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Peel, core, and slice the apples. Add to a large bowl and mix with the lemon juice so they are not browning so quickly. Add the soaked raisins and mix in (optional). Mix the flour with cinnamon, and nutmeg and sift over the apples – mix until everything is covered. Add the brown sugar (keep 2 tablespoons) and mix in as well. Pile the apples into the pie crust, top with the crumble mix and sprinkle with the remaining brown sugar. Bake for 35-40 minutes until the crust and crumbles are golden and crisp. Take out of the oven and let cool down on a wire rack. Serve slightly warm or cold with some whipped cream or ice cream.
Keywords: pie, apple, streusel, crumble