What can I say – regular fries made with potatoes are awesome already. Sweet potato fries are the best! You agree, right? ;)
They go so well with steaks or a burger, served with ketchup or for example blue cheese sauce – mmmmm… I’m almost drooling already ;)
If you are lucky and own a deep fryer – congratulations – you’re in sweet potato fries heaven! If you are less fortunate like me and don’t have a deep fryer at home, you have to come up with other ways to get your sweet potato fries done. The good thing – it is not that complicated ;)
The trick to crispy fries is the coating. If you coat your sweet potato fries with a mix of cornstarch, oil and spices – you get nice crispy fries – even in an oven. The cornstarch takes all the moisture from the sweet potato and makes them crispy. If you let them bake without the coating, they just sit in their own juices and never get crispy.
Another advantage of making the fries in an oven – you can do some other things in the kitchen while they bake and don’t have to constantly watch a deep fryer. Good right? ;)
Oh and have I mentioned the truffle oil yet? No? Well – you should try that yourself…mmmmmm :)
INGREDIENTS / ZUTATEN
1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
2 tbsp. truffle oil
3 tbsp. cornstarch
2 EL Trüffel Öl
3 EL Speisestärke
DIRECTIONS / ZUBEREITUNG
2. Slice the peeled sweet potatoes into (not too) thin fries – they don’t have to have all the same shape, just don’t cut them too thick. Mix the oils with cornstarch, paprika, salt and pepper in a bowl and toss the fries in that mixture. Lay out in one layer on the baking sheets and make sure there are no fries on top of each other, so they can crisp up nicely.
3. Bake for 30-35 minutes – keep an eye on them at the end of the baking time so they don’t burn. Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce or ketchup.
2. Die geschälten Süßkartoffeln in (nicht zu) dünne Pommes schneiden – die müssen nicht alle gleich aussehen, sollten aber alle nicht zu dick geschnitten sein. Die Öle mit Stärke, Paprika, Salz und Pfeffer in einer Schüssel vermischen und die Pommes darin wälzen. In jeweils einer Schicht auf die Bleche verteilen – die Pommes sollten nicht übereinander liegen, damit sie schön kross werden.
3. Für 30-35 Minuten backen – gegen Ende der Backzeit immer wieder ein Auge auf die Pommes werfen, damit sie nicht verbrennen. Mit einer Dipping Sauce oder Ketchup heiß servieren.
Here is a version of the recipe you can print easily.
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 2 tbsp. truffle oil
- 3 tbsp. cornstarch
- paprika powder
- salt, Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F (200°C). Line two baking sheets with baking parchment.
- Slice the peeled sweet potatoes into (not too) thin fries - they don't have to have all the same shape, just don't cut them too thick. Mix the oils with cornstarch, paprika, salt and pepper in a bowl and toss the fries in that mixture. Lay out in one layer on the baking sheets and make sure there are no fries on top of each other, so they can crisp up nicely.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes - keep an eye on them at the end of the baking time so they don't burn. Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce or ketchup.
- You can also fry them to get even crispier fries